Comment on *On Satan* (email exerpts of discussion)

Message 02056 of 3835

On Satan ...
...The concept also presents a subtle schism to the psyche of the believer. For example, how can an all-powerful and perfect god be in contention with an equally powerful imperfect devil? This essential dualism simply doesn't fit with a *mono* theism and this confuses the psyche at an unconscious level, again increasing both the sense of self-powerlessness and dependence upon the religious hierarchy.<

Rawn,

I have never experienced the concept/idea/teaching that "Satan" and "G-d" are of equivalent power or influence. I do not believe it is taught in any Catholic or Protestant (or otherwise) Christian church. Nor, to my knowledge and experience, has this particuler doctrine or dogma ever been part of the teachings of Christianity, Judaism, etc.

It is how children often understand it PERHAPS b/c their parental /social models seem to give it so much equal footing and speak of it at the same time. It is a developed and too often unchallenged assumption developed over time into an unseen habit. An unseen "already-listening" w/o investigation into its reliability simply b/c it is assumed by that time to be correctly understood... and conveniently, I may add.

Much like how we mould ourselves through our own unconscious use of our own vocabulary and speech habits. Consciously: IIH cocerning "Affirmations".

THe "schism" mentioned above MAY be the child of or the fruit of an misunderstood and uninformed understanding of the relationship described Biblically. SATAN (As I understand the term) is the "Adversary", coucilled with G-d in the Bibilical story of JOB and Was present in the proverbial "Garden of Eden" as a "tester" NOT as an equal power or entity to G-d. Again, G-d WALKED (was present) with them in the Garden.

NON - BIBLICALLY:
As I also understand a Jewish parable concerning Satan's relationhip to the 'King" (G-d).. More likened to a zealot servant, gone too much over the edge of "his role" to tempt (revealing his own limitations?)... To test the metal of and to reveal to the temptee his/her character under said circumstance (as well to the King)... b/c the King wanted His child to inherit His Kingdom and the King needed to see what the child was truely made of, so to speak.

Likened to an angelic Soul Mirror in action, perhaps? ;)

Too often, our accepted understanding of Christianity and of Satan, etc. can be ferreted back to our own lack of dispassionate investigation... or the old MOSES movies..? LOL ;) and propegated to the waiting soil to spring again.

A VERY human and across the board, Christian, Jew, Occultist, HUMAN, etc. habit.

Thank you and with respect,
:T:

Make your home warm and cozy this winter with tips from MSN House & Home. http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx

Main Index | Thread Index