The polarity of IIH translations

Message 00166 of 3835

It just occurred to me that it is quite fortuitous that two
translations of IIH have been made.

Translation is a big part of my degree and I have come to realize
that you could give a fairly simple text to ten different
translators and get ten totally different
translations/interpretations back. Now, if the text is something as
detailed, involved and at times ambiguous as IIH then it is no
wonder that there are key points and sections which both English
versions of the book have translated differently.

Obviously, the ideal would be to have German as a first language in
order to get 'closest' to the original meaning conceived in Bardon's
mind, but the next best thing is to have more than one translation
to compare, thus gleaning different shades of meaning from each
translation, helping to build a fuller (and 'truer') picture of the
underlaying meaning of the original.

The two translations seem to be quite distinct in their styles also.
The more recent Merkur verion is more modern and freer in its
approach, whereas the older translation, although sometimes rather
stilted and 'forced', is likely to be more accurate in terms of
details. It seems that the Principle of Duality came into play here;
possibly not a coincidence either?

Anyway, I know it's a rather mundane and dry point, but I thought it
was worth a mention.

Take care,

Martin

* * *