Step 1 and Life

Message 00322 of 3835

Hi!

Has anyone else noticed how the Step 1 mental exercises seem to spill over into everyday life?

I have long used shower time to contemplate things going on in my life, but now, the stream of thoughts roll slowly by, somewhat like a menu on a monitor. I can choose one, and fall into a "point-priority" focus (I am after all, washing myself <g>). When I am done with that topic (often receiving resolution or insight), I can return to the "menu" and choose another. Meanwhile, I use a loofa soap to scrub down and open my pores, and when I have finished bathing, I turn the water down to very cool (it is, after all frigid, outside), and rinse off everything that bubbled to the surface while doing the mental exercises. My skin feels keenly alive after this.

At the movies this week, I found myself falling into a point-focus (I think). There were two noisy teenagers immediately in front of us. They were beginning to get really annoying, when the movie started. I focused on the screen, taking it all in, and tuning them out. Sometime later I noticed the teenagers were gone, and I turned to my husband and asked when they left. I had not noticed their departure *at all*, even though they had flung their coats on, obscuring vision. I mean first they were annoying me and then *poof* they weren't there. (Now, if I can only learn to tune out snores <g>.)

Riding (NOT driving) in a car, I can tune out the radio and then the rest of the world and zone out, not thinking at all. I see the landscape rushing by, but am not concerned with it at all. I am then in a state of just BEing.

Anyway, none of these experiences seemed to be consciously evoked. They just happened (all, that is, except the cool water rinse in the shower). I find this curious, but very pleasant.

Amberlyn

Main Index | Thread Index