Re: About the Soul Mirror

Message 00354 of 3835

Dear Max,

>> I have worked with it for two days till I came to realize that I
don´t know what a root is! Can anybody give me an EXAMPLE of how you´ve
found a root? Can "beliefs" count as a root? example: "money is evil",
thos leads to judging rich people..etc. In this case is the primary
belief the root of the other trais?? <<

Well, let's take "judging rich people" as an example. You state that
the root is your belief that money is evil. To my mind this is not a
root for your judging another person, this is instead an excuse or
rationalization. Any time we judge another person in this way, it is
rooted in the fact that we see in our own self the thing we are judging
in the other person. If you see gluttony in a rich person and this
bothers you to such a degree that you begin judging them harshly, then
this means that your own gluttony bothers you.

So instead of a belief that money is evil being the root of your judging
rich people, the real root is that you see parts of yourself that you
don't like, mirrored by the actions of others. In order to avoid
confronting these things within your own self, you externalize them and
make your judgments against others instead of against yourself.

When it came to changing the character trait of 'judging rich people',
it would do no good to change your belief that money is evil. The only
thing that would change such a trait of judging others would be to
practice turning those externalized judgments inward, upon yourself.