Re: A thing or two

Message 00674 of 3835

Dear Chad,

> Pretty much what I'm wondering is do these daydreams count towards
> completing the first step of this exercise, and if not (which I
> believe to probably be the case), how can I get on track to something
> else without removing my status as a silent observer? I am thinking
> if I force certain thoughts into my head before practicing this may
> work, I have yet to try. I'm sure somebody here can give me a nudge
> in the right direction, pretty simple stuff here.

I'm also on step 1, and doing the Thought Control exercise as well.

I think it doesn't matter what you observe during your meditation.
Bardon's examples of jobs/everyday matters etc. were used to point out
that there is nothing deeply magical/mystical (in the common sense of
the word, although I suspect it is a subtly magical exercise) about
this exercise, you just have to observe your thoughts.

However, I think you have to make a distinction between day-dreaming
and meditation. With day-dreaming, your are not in control of your
mind, which is the aim of this exercise. When you're day-dreaming,
you're unconsciously engaging your fantasies and giving them energy.

Thought control meditation is the first step in training your mind to
perform as you wish it to; (the next two steps- thought discipline and
mastery of thoughts keep adding to overall mind control) active when
it needs to be, silent when in needs to be.

As I said previously, day dreams are not controlled by your will, they
are fueled by other unconscious sources. This has to be remedied if
one wants to progress as a magician, because a magician must always be
in control of his or her mind.

So I suppose what you have to do is watch your thoughts arise
(whatever they are- doesn't matter) and don't get involved with them.

Hopefully this has helped somewhat.

Cheers,
Kurt

Main Index | Thread Index