Re: The Three Mothers and IHVH

Message 00937 of 3835

By the way, Yod-He-Vav-He (IHVH) is believed by many to be the
causative form of a lost verb in Hebrew for "To be". If it is so,
then it meant "He causes to be" or "He brings into existence".

Phoenician was spoken in Lebanon and along the coast (to some
extent) of North Africa where it was called Punic. It is not related
to Berber (other than being in the Afro-Asiatic family) and the
Berber people are not descended from Phoenicians. They have been in
North Africa for a very long time.

Hamitic is an old word that linguists (though I am not one) have
pretty much dropped. Phoenician was Semitic as were the Canaanite
language(s) and Hebrew. I believe the 'Hamitic' you are talking
about used to be used to group languages like Somali (now called
Cushitic).

Aramaic was a sister language to Hebrew that grew to encompass most
of the Middle East in Ancient times...Jesus and the people of his
time spoke it. They were similar, but not the same.

Aramaic later came up with another alphabet in three versions. They
sort of look like Arabic but blockier.

You are right about the living Semitic languages. The three major
Ethiopic languages are the ones most people don't know about:
Amharic, Tigre and Tigrinya. They are descended from the language of
ancient South Arabian (present day Yemen) invaders called Ge'ez (in
Axum).

The famous (sort of famous) Keber Nagast was written in Ge'ez if I
am not mistaken. I think a part of the Book of Enoch is recorded in
it, but I am no expert in Biblical apocrypha or anything.

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, JohnWW <JohnWW@x> wrote:
> One further point - I thought that Phoenician, used in what is now
> Lebanon, was an Hamitic language, not Semitic, and indeed the same

Main Index | Thread Index