Re: Re: The Three Mothers and IHVH

Message 00936 of 3835

One further point - I thought that Phoenician, used in what is now
Lebanon, was an Hamitic language, not Semitic, and indeed the same as
that used by the Canaanites in Palestine prior to the arrival of
Israelites there. The Phoenicians colonized north Africa, where the
Berbers are their descendants, along with in part the Somalis in east
Africa whose language is also Hamitic. Besides Hebrew, Aramaic (spoken
by only a few hundred Assyrian Christians), and Arabic, the only other
Semitic language used today is Ethiopic.

John W.

kxcorinth wrote:

> I ask because the Hebrew alphabet is not Hebrew at all. It is
> Aramaic in origin. That in turn was based on the Phoenician
> alphabet. The names of letters are not Hebrew, they are Hebrew
> versions of Phoenician words (the two languages were cousins anyway
> though)
(cut)

Main Index | Thread Index