Re: An introduction

Message 01562 of 3835

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Rawn Clark" <rawnclark@n...>
wrote:

> >> By the way, perhaps someone could answer this question ... I'm
> assuming from what I've read here that counting one's breath would
not
> be a good way to practice one-pointedness, right? <<
>
> That's correct. Bardon's specific instruction was that you are to
focus
> upon an *idea or train of thoughts*.

Hi David,
I have to disagree with Mr. Clark on the above point. I have used
counting for years as a prelude to Work(of course at the time of
Step1 work, it was all I could do to remained focused on the
counting, it got easier and now I use it as I described above). I
started by using incoming/holding/outgoing/hold-out in 4.2.4.2
sequence. I did this at my own pace relative to my comfort level at
any given time of the day. Counting is an idea and even a visual
image sequence if you like (I've used an image of coloured numbered
candles.). It does promote a focusing of the attention into one
area. This is the intent of the exercise to begin with.

I have listened to Mr. Clark's "Stillness" exercises. Personally
(and I emphasize *personally*) I find them to be too "busy" for my
taste. Some years ago I came to the conclusion that just "clearing"
a space in my mind would do for beginning the vacancy exercise. I
thought that I would be able to expand the "clearing" as time went
on. I was right.

See, the exercises in future steps will call on the skills you
develop now, and they will grow with time and applied effort. My
advice to anyone started the Bardon work would be... enjoy yourself,
take your time, be creative, and above all... you are the only one
who can do the Work, no one can do it for you.

Rock on