Re: An introduction

Message 01553 of 3835

Dear David,

>> I came from doing a lot of inner work using Toltec concepts
(Castaneda et al). I find it very complementary with Hermetics, though
from my perspective (at my lofty viewpoint of Step One, ha ha) Hermetics
provides a lot of techniques to practice in one's own time and space,
where Toltec techniques seem to be better adapted for use in everyday
situations. <<

I'd like for you to reassess that conclusion about the practical,
every-day applicability of the IIH exercises. I think you've come to
this conclusion because of the format in which this work is presented --
i.e., you sit down and meditate. However, if you look at the exercises
separate from this context, I think you'll see that they *can* (and
should/must) become a part of your every-day life.

For example, detaching from your surface mind during the day can be
*very* educational as you observe yourself in mundane situations. The
exercises pertaining to giving your full attention to mundane tasks is
one that must be done outside of the context of sit-down meditation.
The exercise of self-analysis can also be carried out as you go about
your daily business and in that context they will reveal aspects of your
character that may be invisible during your sit-down meditations. And
the Eucharistic magics of Air and Water can be done throughout your day
as well.

Magic and self-transformation are not just about doing exercises in
one-hour increments. The exercises must pervade your entire being, your
entire life.

>> I have of course run into some snags. The main thing is that I can't
$&*@%! get out of my head during the day. (Please excuse my
inappropriate punctuation.) I can do it fine when I am in my own space,
but once I get out and about my mind kind of overflows its boundaries.
I like the "segment intending" idea I've read about, for the thought
discipline part of Step One, but it's hard for me to implement. I also
find that though I can hold a focus quite well, it's difficult for me to
do so in a relaxed state. I guess learning to relax physically while
focusing mentally is my big lesson here; it's also part of why I've made
no progress on improving my vision even though I took a natural vision
improvement class four years ago. But at any rate, I guess there is
nothing to do but stick with it. <<

I recommend "The Center of Stillness Meditation" and the "Self-Healing
Archaeous" audio series. You can download the .MP3 audio files of these
recordings by visiting http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/MP3-Links.html

>> By the way, perhaps someone could answer this question ... I'm
assuming from what I've read here that counting one's breath would not
be a good way to practice one-pointedness, right? <<

That's correct. Bardon's specific instruction was that you are to focus
upon an *idea or train of thoughts*.

>> I've also had difficulty sticking with the eucharistic magic, the
amgic of food. Has anyone else had this problem? Social concerns, or
just too damn tired or needing distraction. Reading or talking while
eating is a deeply ingrained habit and mealtimes are often one of the
rare moments that I can connect with my partner, but then I can't put my
attention fully into my food. I'm not sure what to do about that. <<

Well, this work does demand that you change those habits that don't
serve you. As for connecting with your partner, perhaps you could
negotiate an agreement that at the beginning of your meal you will spend
a few moments focused upon the impregnation of your food and then, when
that's done, you switch to your normal connecting, etc. Periodically
during your meal, remember that you're eating food that has been
impregnated with a specific idea and purpose. As you become more
proficient at impregnating your food, this becomes less and less
problematic.