Re: Re: mind chatter : what plane ?

Message 01654 of 3835

Hello,

Rawn wrote:

> What you are describing are the ways in which the individual
> *relates to* mind chatter. In and of itself, mind chatter is a
> simple fact of nature -- a mechanism of the brain bound
> consciousness.

mj replied:
How so? What purpose does it serve? From the looks of it, it seems
that the chattering mind is in a pathological state, and that
its "natural" state would be calmer; much like a calm pond compared
one that is ravaged by a storm; especially as many have pointed out,
the mind tends to calm when you stop struggling with it and "let go"
of thoughts. Are we causing it to calm, or simply allowing it the
freedom and space it needs to blossom?

Quite the opposite actually. In Zen, they say "If you can calm your mind for twelve seconds, you have achieved enlightenment". Let me use an analogy: Growing up is the result of imposing discipline upon your life... we meet responsibilities because it is important that we do so. If I fail to impose discipline upon my life I remain immature. Thus is can be said that immaturity is the "natural" state to be in as another invluence (discipline), must be exerted on its "natural" state to change it. Thus it is with the chattering monkey. Discipline must be exerted upon the mind so that it calms, not until then can it become a "calm pond".

I don't like speaking for others, but I think most of us here would say that the natural state of our minds is to have thoughts constantly flitting across our radars.

Regards,
Simon

Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Main Index | Thread Index