RE: Digest Number 286

Message 01686 of 3835

I have had a difficult time with this exercise. I think of it as
learning how to be in a deep pool of water without holding onto the
wall. I liken the one-pointed exercise to entering the pool and holding
on to the wall or ladder - holding on to one thought. It's nice to
anchor my awareness in one thought. Well, actually, I should say it
feels comfortable, secure.

Then I tell myself to let go of the wall - that I'll slowly drift into
non-thought. Sometimes I can. I may be able to do this successfully
for a minute or two. Then I have a eureka! Wow, I think, I'm actually
doing this, and I instinctively grope for my wall again - a thought.

I like to think that the wall will be there - I can always return to a
meditation on "something." But it's a matter of consciously letting go
of thought and being firm in my willingness to remain there. Some days
I'm better at it than others. But overall, even this low level of EOM
has helped me get along in other areas. I think just by virtue of
practicing EOM, my concentration has improved in the other IIH exercises
and in my daily affairs.

One other thing that may be useful - I find that when background
thoughts seem to want to surface - when I want to flounder for my wall -
I try not to get too worked up about their presence. Yup, they're
there. But they're not important. The biggest insight I had was when I
realized I was jumping onto a train of thought without even being aware
of it. I was reaching for my figurative wall in the pool and squeezing
it tightly. A half a minute could go by and I'd just then realize "hey,
this isn't EOM." Don't beat yourself up over this. Let those thoughts
drift away, and let go again. Ignore them, without thinking you've made
a mess of this attempt.

I know Bardon emphasizes consistent practice, but I find that after a
few days off, I can come back with renewed vigor. I don't know why.
But overall, I've found that the more I practice, the more comfortable I
get with letting go of thoughts.

Good luck!

lori