Re: Open eyes vs. closed eyes

Message 01963 of 3835

Dear NB,

>> a) Is there any meaning to the fact that I have less problems
focusing and visualizing with open eyes than with closed eyes ? This is
new btw; in the past, it was the opposite. <<

Yes, but exactly what that significance is can only be discovered by you
through asking yourself: Why? What is different about this particular
exercise?. Any time an exercise is difficult, there is significance.
The exercises that challenge your abilities are the most important and
deserve your extra effort. In order to become absolute master of your
mind, you must never shy away from the difficult exercises and must
never favor the easier simply because it is easier.

>> b) Is the instruction "start with closed eyes and redo with open
eyes" mandatory or is it just a trick because working with closed eyes
is supposed to be easier as a first step e.g.? <<

I don't see any significance to the sequence other than that, for most
folks, it's easier to begin with the eyes closed. Nonetheless, as Alan
pointed out, mastery of *both* is necessary. This becomes more apparent
in Step Three when you begin working with multi-sensory creations, many
of which you will want to explore with your eyes closed. There will
also be many occasions when working with your eyes closed will be more
efficacious. :)