Re: Some questions

Message 02153 of 3835

Dear David,

>> - The second Step One mental exercise, on maintaining mental
focus in everyday tasks: It seems to me that that is a lifetime task,
and that sometimes I do that well but other times, like when there's
something agitating that has just happened, not so well. What's the
tep One goal of that exercise? Is it a greater mastery, or just to
ave made a habit of the exercise, with the knowledge that it will be
ontinuously improved upon? <<

Yes, that is the goal of all of the Step I exercises, that they
become habits. Some of them will evolve over time, but it's the
habit forming that is important. I'd say that as long as your "off"
days don't happen too often, then you have got the exercise down.

>> - Vacancy of mind: Am I correct in thinking that it is the
*process* of thinking that should be stopped at this stage, but not
necessarily the *objects*? So that if the cloud of the thinking
process were removed, the objects could be perceived for what they
are (what I think might be what you all are referring to as essential
meaning)?
Until a little while ago, I thought emptiness of mind referred to a
lack of *object* -- ie an entirely blank mind, absolutely no
perception of anything at all -- but now I'm beginning to think that
it's more proper and reasonable at this stage to stop the *process*
and perceive what exists beyond the thinking. Stop "thinking,"
not "thoughts" (ie objects). Is this correct? <<

The vacancy of mind includes thoughts and other abstract ideas. When
you *perceive* something, you can't translate it into words or
thoughts. Well, you can, but I've never been able to do so
successfully and capture the whole of what I perceived. It's kind of
like when you forget what you were just getting ready to say and are
trying to remember. You know something was there, you just can't
place your finger on it. (That's not the greatest analogy, I know,
sorry about that)

>> - I know it's not crucial at this stage to correctly place soul
mirror traits in their proper elements, but I'm confused nonetheless:
Bardon lists some very similar traits under different elements, for
instance "diligence" under Air and "perseverance" under Earth. I
guess I see diligence and perseverance as both belonging to Earth.
Is this an issue that will probably be made clearer to me as I work
more with the elements, or should I take some more time at this
stage? <<

You might want to take a look at David Coleman's site:
www.astralvisions.de
Specifically the essay on the elements here:
http://astralvisions.psychicblue.org/Elements.htm
As I've gained more insight into the elements recently, I see that
quite a few of the personality traits that Bardon gives can be put
under different elements and both be corrent. It's more of how the
trait is manifest in you. There isn't any rule that says this trait
belongs under only this element. That's what's so great and
frustrating about the Mirrors ;)

>> - What is the specific reason for not allowing anyone else to eat
your food when you are doing the magic of food? Does this also mean
that it's not correct to leave a bit of food in my bowl (if, for
instance, I feel like I've eaten too much) and, say, come back and
eat it a few hours later, if I make sure no one else eats it? <<

I really haven't given this any considerable amount of thought
before. When I first read the exercise, and the following times as
well, I assumed it was because of the idea that you are impregnating
the *whole* of the food with the wish/desire. Therefore, you would
need to consume *all* of the food. It makes logical sense, at least
to me, but whethere there is something else, I've never really
thought about it that much.

>> - Is there a point at which the food/water/breathing exercises
have reached a certain goal that is the goal of Step One, or can they
be assumed to mesh with the Step Two exercises? In other words, do
I, for instance, *have* to have successfully achieved one wish before
moving on? <<

The important aspect of the food/water/breathing is for it to become
a habit. The breathing evolves a bit later on it IIH, but the
fundamentals are the same. I don't think there's any real "goal" for
these other than for them to become habit.

I would suggest looking at your wish and see if you have made any
progress with it. I've always used the food/water/breathing as aids
to my wishes/desires as well as the direct approach. If you haven't
done so already, look at the Step II Astral exercises for a bit of
help.

>> - A question about the visualization exercise in Step Two: I know
right off the bat that I'm pretty good at visualization. But the
image I visualize tends to move around a little bit, or rather my
eyes do; I can, for instance, imagine the image of a pen sitting in
one place on my desk, but my physical eyes don't want to keep staring
motionless at it all the time. Should the image I visualize be
absolutely stationary? I don't find any mention in IIH of this. <<

One goal of the visualization is to be in control of it. If you
can't control the visualization then that needs to be worked on. But
there's nothing to say that objects have to be stationary. I decided
to go a bit further with the visualization and have the objects move
when I wanted them to. I brought up the image of a pencil simply
floating in front of me. Then I'd spin it a bit and stop it
immediately. This idea spawned out of a post someone had on here
about not being able to keep their visualizations from spinning. So
I figured what the heck? I'll give it a try. If the pen moves with
your eyes and that's not what you want to happen, the I would suggest
working on keeping your stationary in their focal point. It will
become important later.

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index