Re: Some questions

Message 02154 of 3835

Dear David,

I have just a couple of things to add to Alan's excellent answers. :)

>> - The second Step One mental exercise, on maintaining mental focus
in everyday tasks: It seems to me that that is a lifetime task, and that
sometimes I do that well but other times, like when there's something
agitating that has just happened, not so well. What's the Step One goal
of that exercise? Is it a greater mastery, or just to have made a habit
of the exercise, with the knowledge that it will be continuously
improved upon? <<

This exercise introduces something that will become very important
during the Step Two/Three work of character transformation. Namely,
that you will need to be aware of yourself, of your actions, thoughts
and feelings *as they occur*. In other words, when it comes down to
actually changing your negative character traits, you will need to be
immediately aware of them as they arise and be immediately able to
transplant your chosen positive alternative in that moment. This
requires an immediacy of presence to your conscious awareness which the
Step One exercise seeks to establish.

>> - What is the specific reason for not allowing anyone else to eat
your food when you are doing the magic of food? <<

A good analogy would be a prescription medication. Obviously, you
wouldn't share your prescription with another person. When you charge
your food or drink with a specific idea that is tailored to your own
needs, it becomes like a prescription medication, designed just for you.
If someone else ingests it then it will have an effect upon them that
was intended for you, not for them.

In addition, you are establishing a subtle mental connection with the
food you've charged and if someone else were to ingest this food, that
connection would then become three-way, between you, the food, and the
other person. This can have unpredictable consequences.

And finally, this teaches you that when you prepare something magically,
it is no longer a mundane thing. Once charged, it must be treated as
special. To do otherwise would be to immediately negate its importance
and therefore its effectiveness.

However, there are very simple ways around this issue. For example, a
family member would like a taste of your food or wants to finish your
leftovers. In such a case, it is an easy matter to *remove the charge*
from that portion of food. :)

>> - A question about the visualization exercise in Step Two: I know
right off the bat that I'm pretty good at visualization. But the image
I visualize tends to move around a little bit, or rather my eyes do; I
can, for instance, imagine the image of a pen sitting in one place on my
desk, but my physical eyes don't want to keep staring motionless at it
all the time. Should the image I visualize be absolutely stationary? I
don't find any mention in IIH of this. <<

See http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/Dancing.html