Re: EOM and "forgetting oneself"

Message 02259 of 3835

Dear Joa,

I remember once reading a comment from Rawn, where he said that we
should learn to distinguish a *thought* from a *concern*. Your
concern should be emptiness of mind - true. However, thought and
concern are not the same, and thus there is no contradiction here.
Maybe meditating on the difference between the two will help you to
progress with the exercise? Just give it a shot.

Yours,
David

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Rawn Clark" <rawnclark@n...>
wrote:
> Dear Joa,
>
> >> I must confess that the "Mastery of thoughts" exercise has
me "dazed
> and confused" :) Like you say in your great commentary upon
Initiation
> into hermetics, this exercise involves the attainment of a vacancy
of
> mind or an absence of thoughts. But now you say that "Ideally, you
are
> *aware* of yourself throughout the experience, but aware without
> thinking". To me, this is a great contradiction, because if you are
> aware, evidently you are thinking. <<
>
> This is a common misconception brought about by the fact that most
often
> we reside totally within the surface awareness where thinking and
> awareness are seemingly inseparable. In reality though, thinking
and
> awareness are two separate functions of the mental body. Thinking
is
> *an aspect of* or power of awareness. The EOM exercise teaches
you to
> separate thinking from awareness and focus entirely upon just
awareness
> by setting aside thought.
>
> I would suggest that the fact that you are convinced that the
separation
> of thinking from awareness is impossible, is the reason why you
find
> this exercise so difficult. Perhaps Lesson Three of my "Self-
Healing