Re: EOM and "forgetting oneself"

Message 02257 of 3835

Dear Joa,

>> I must confess that the "Mastery of thoughts" exercise has me "dazed
and confused" :) Like you say in your great commentary upon Initiation
into hermetics, this exercise involves the attainment of a vacancy of
mind or an absence of thoughts. But now you say that "Ideally, you are
*aware* of yourself throughout the experience, but aware without
thinking". To me, this is a great contradiction, because if you are
aware, evidently you are thinking. <<

This is a common misconception brought about by the fact that most often
we reside totally within the surface awareness where thinking and
awareness are seemingly inseparable. In reality though, thinking and
awareness are two separate functions of the mental body. Thinking is
*an aspect of* or power of awareness. The EOM exercise teaches you to
separate thinking from awareness and focus entirely upon just awareness
by setting aside thought.

I would suggest that the fact that you are convinced that the separation
of thinking from awareness is impossible, is the reason why you find
this exercise so difficult. Perhaps Lesson Three of my "Self-Healing
Archaeous" audio series might help you to *experientially* (as opposed
to just intellectually) grasp the true nature of the mental body and the
attributes, or powers, of conscious awareness. You can find the script
of Lesson Three at http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/Arch03.html or
download the audio file at
http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/MP3-Links.html