Re: Counting

Message 02268 of 3835

Dear Rawn,

Thanks for the comments. The last part especially has made me think.

Speaking of applying one pointedness to every day life, what should
I do when I go to sleep (and actually try to fall asleep)? Whenever
I try to concentrate at that time - I can't fall asleep. In order to
fall asleep I need to let my mind wander, so I find it difficult to
apply Bardon's suggestion at bed time. Will it change after lots of
practice? Or perhaps we are not supposed to apply one pointedness at
that particular time?

THANKS A LOT!
David

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Rawn Clark" <rawnclark@n...>
wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> >> Briefly, I came to conclusion that since there is a strong
positive
> corelation between mental focus and signifcance/interest, we
should try
> to "make" our every action significant to us. <<
>
> One pointedness really has two factors to it: #1 is the act of
focusing
> our awareness. #2 is the act of *perceiving* the significance of
what
> we have focused our attention upon. It's this latter factor of
> perception that makes one-pointedness such a powerful meditational
tool.
> It's what enables a growth in the *quantity* of information we
have to
> work with in the one-pointedness meditation and it's our
processing of
> this increase in the quantity of information that enables the mind
> then increase its *quality* of understanding of the thing we're
focused
> upon.
>
> When applying the one-pointedness to everyday life, a reciprocal
effect
> takes place in which, because we are focusing our awareness upon
our
> actions, we are simultaneously *perceiving* their significance,
which,
> in effect, "makes" them significant. But really, they have always
been
> significant to one degree or another -- the difference is that now
> you're *perceiving* their inherent significance and their
significance
> is now a *conscious* thing. Of course, this gives you the
opportunity
> to *consciously* participate in, and enhance, their
significance. :)

> Here is where this aspect of the Step One one-pointedness exercise
> relates to the Step Two Soul Mirror work of character
transformation