Re: Re: Counting

Message 02267 of 3835

Dear David,

>> Briefly, I came to conclusion that since there is a strong positive
corelation between mental focus and signifcance/interest, we should try
to "make" our every action significant to us. <<

One pointedness really has two factors to it: #1 is the act of focusing
our awareness. #2 is the act of *perceiving* the significance of what
we have focused our attention upon. It's this latter factor of
perception that makes one-pointedness such a powerful meditational tool.
It's what enables a growth in the *quantity* of information we have to
work with in the one-pointedness meditation and it's our processing of
this increase in the quantity of information that enables the mind to
then increase its *quality* of understanding of the thing we're focused
upon.

When applying the one-pointedness to everyday life, a reciprocal effect
takes place in which, because we are focusing our awareness upon our
actions, we are simultaneously *perceiving* their significance, which,
in effect, "makes" them significant. But really, they have always been
significant to one degree or another -- the difference is that now
you're *perceiving* their inherent significance and their significance
is now a *conscious* thing. Of course, this gives you the opportunity
to *consciously* participate in, and enhance, their significance. :)

Here is where this aspect of the Step One one-pointedness exercise
relates to the Step Two Soul Mirror work of character transformation
which requires a recognition of the significance inherent to each moment
of our living. With the character transformation work we must take that
*recognition* a step further and consciously participate in the
trans*formation* of that significance.