Re: Ch & Th

Message 03124 of 3835

Dear Robert,

The Hebrew Chet sort of comes from within the throat. I've had
trouble trying to explain to others how to do it. I'm taking Hebrew
at Virginia Tech this semester :)

Anyway, the closest thing I can say to describe it is to tell you
that the sound is made in the throat. It really almost feels as if
you are trying to gag yourself with your tongue but not really. The
same type of thing goes for the Hebrew Ayin, which is made in the
troat, but it's like the Aleph and has no sound of its own. And Chet
is that hard sort of sound as in the german "ch", example Bach, or
achtung. But that's not Chet, that sound is Kaf, which is made in
the mouth. Neither are "k" sounds, but really hard "h" sounds.

Although, my professor has told us that most Hebrew speaking people
rarely make the distinction pronunciation wise between Kaf and Chet.
Mainly those that speak Yiddish and the older generation in Israel
and elsewhere make the distinction between the sound of Chet and
Kaf. They usually pronounce it as a Kaf.

Also, a Yod is pronounced as a "y". There is no "j" in Hebrew, so a
Yod is used, where in English there would usually be a J.

I haven't really read a lot of KTQ other than a few passing glances
as it's still a way off for me. But if Bardon is using Hebrew
sounds, then there is not "th" sounds in Hebrew. There is another
letter Tet, which my professor said Hebrew has lost the distinction
between Tet and Tav in the language. They are both pronounced as
a "t". So if that's the case, then there will be no "th" sound in
Bardon's letters.

The Hebrew letter Tsade is a "ts" sound. As in "meets". I'm not
sure if that's the same as what Bardon has in KTQ.

Although, someone else might want to double check me all of this.
It's been a while since I've looked at my copy of KTQ.

Hope that helps with some pronunciation.

Sof tov, hakol tov,
--Alan

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Robert 3 EEE"
<rapid3robert2000@y...> wrote:

> Can someone help on this?
> I some times find it difficult to sound out the letters correctly
as per Bardon for example the Ch sound, is it a guttural sound like
some of the Hebrews and Germans do from the back of their throat or
Ch as in chance ? Tzaddi is apparently Cz as in Czar and Sh or Sch
can sound like Sh as I understand it.

> It appears to me that the Yud is a J sound as in John and the I is
I as in machine . I think the Y in the word Young is a soft Yud or
J ! ?

> In Bardon/Hermetic sounds is there a Th sound with a note and
color ?

> The Hebrew Hei and Chet sure sound similar to me except the Chet is
harder (raspy) and from the back of throat.