Re: VoM?

Message 03271 of 3835

Dear Jason,

>> I want to ask what may be a stupid question connected with this: is
it absolutely unheard of for someone to find the Step 1 Mental exercises
to sort of be in reverse order of difficulty? That is, to find VoM
relatively easy but the witnessing of a normal flow of thought rather
hard? I ask because I think I have experienced a version of what Martin
is talking about here all my life, and can sort of turn it on and off
at will. That whole thing of being blank and everything around me being
conscious is very familiar to me. <<

:) Lucky you! No, it is not unheard of by any means.

>> Maybe I'm missing something, and certainly I've never tried
consciously to
make that state last any particular length of time, <<

And that will be the real test / challenge -- making it last
*intentionally* for a specific duration.

>> I've never experienced that big surge of energy though or anything
like it,
and I've never even thought there was anything special about that state!
<<

As I wrote to Martin, the surge of energy he experienced was most likely
a side-effect of the newness of his experience. But if it is not new to
you then this side-effect would not occur.

>> but it seems to me this is almost ludicrously so, getting the 3rd
exercise right away but having trouble with the 1st forsooth! <<

I don't see it as ludicrous at all. Each one of the mental exercises
presents a specific technique which you may or may not have a native
ability for. All it means is that VoM comes more naturally to you while
the techniques of the first two exercises do not. Nonetheless, the
techniques of the first two exercises must be learned as they are just
as important to your progress as VoM.