About positive and negative traits

Message 03481 of 3835

Hello everybody. :)

I´ve beeen reading the messages for a while, but it´s the first
time
I write in this forum. (I´m very shy about writting in the
Internet).

I´ve been having difficulties with the first astral exercise. The
problem is that I can´t avoid the thought that some traits of
personality could be considered positive or negative in different
cultural enviroments, or in different situations. While there are
some emotions that are universally considered good or bad ones (for
example, "compassion" or "envy"), other traits may not be so easily
classified.

Take "anger", for example. It´s certainly a very destructive
emotion
that we humans from times to times express, generally bringing
suffering to lots of people, including ourselves. However, it can
possibly save your life if you are in danger and need to defend
yourself.

I´m a psychotherapist, and in my job I´ve seen many people that
got
emotionally (and sometimes physically) ill because they couldn´t
express certain emotions that one could presume as negative ones
(e.g., someone who avoids the sadness that follows the death of a
beloved relative).

I´m not sure if I am being clear about what I try to say. Writting
in english is difficult to me, as I´m a portuguese speaker. What
I´m
trying to share with you all is my doubt about how can I correctly
define some personality trait as negative or positive ones. I´ve
tried to meditate about that subject, but seems to me that i´m
walking in circles.

I´d appreciate any help about that.

Best wishes to all,
Dan