Passage of time

Message 03753 of 3835

Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding the step one mental exercise where a
student is
required to sit still and observes their thoughts. Before asking the question,
I want make
sure my understanding of how the exercise is performed is correct - The student
performing the exercise is in a state of what I would call being "passively
alert". By that I
mean that they are in a receptive-passive state of awareness, completely alert
with one's
attention focused on whatever thoughts "percolate to the surface of their
awareness".
When performing this exercise , I do it with emotional detachment , objectively
observing
whatever comes into my field of awareness . I apologize for saying what might
be obvious
to some; I am doing this to make sure the context within which I ask the
following
question is clearly understood.

Not to my question- Can (or does) a person's perception of the passage of time
change
while performing the exercise? I don't recall reading about how the perception
of time
passage can be different from "normal" waking awareness, either in IIH or in
this
discussion group. I know that I am alert while performing the exercise and the
same thing
happens whether it is performed in the morning, afternoon or evening. For me,
time
sometimes seems to move "faster". I often say to myself "is the time already
up?" after
doing the exercise.

Any comments?

Thank you. I have found the discussions in this group most informative over the
past ten
months and will miss it when it ends.

Keith

Main Index | Thread Index