A note of explanation.

Message 00030 of 3835

Dear Friends,

Moderating a yahoo group is a new experience for me and I hope you will
all be a bit patient with me as I adjust to this new responsibility.
I've always thought that the best way to incite another's patience is to
clearly explain what's going on that necessitates their patience, so
here's an explanation of a moderator's responsibility. ;-)

I receive every post sent to the BardonPraxis board and I must then
review it and then approve or reject it. In order to approve or reject,
I have to either send an email which automatically lets the message
appear (or not) on the board, or I have to go to the webpage itself and
approve/reject from there. [The moderator's webpage looks a bit
different and has all kinds of management features.]

This means that there will always be some delay between your sending a
post and its appearance on the board. The length of that delay depends
upon how often I check my email or the website. For the most part, over
these past two days, I've been almost constantly monitoring my inbox,
but that will not always be possible. I do promise however, to process
postings every night before retiring to bed *at the very least*. Most
likely, my average will work out to once every couple of hours
throughout the day. Contrary to rumor, I do sleep every so often! ;-)
;-)

If I am going to be away from home for more than a day, I will
temporarily lift the moderation feature so that all members will be able
to post directly to the group in my absence.

Since I am the first to see each post, I have, thusfar, also been the
first to reply to any questions. The root of this is personal habit.
Since I receive a lot of emails on the average day, as a matter of
self-preservation, I developed the habit early on, of answering each one
as soon as the time presented itself. If I don't do this, my inbox
fills to overflowing rather quickly! ;-) While this habit serves to
preserve my own personal sanity, it sometimes has the effect on
discussion boards, of suppressing or discouraging replies from other
folks. This side-effect is NOT my intention so I will sometime let a
board post sit for a while before interjecting.

However, my moderation responsibilities with this board have changed
this relationship a bit and in order for me to keep up, I really can't
let things sit in my inbox for "a while" any more! ;-) So, I feel the
need to state quite clearly that I do hope the fact that I reply so
quickly will NOT deter others from answering questions and sharing their
own insights, etc. I hope this will be more than just an "ask Rawn"
board! I hope you will ALL feel free to share yourselves here. *I*
value your insights!

My best to you all,