Re: How to be the Silent observer ?

Message 00116 of 3835

Dear Alexandra,

>> I visualized this as a moviescreen and I was the audience. Since I
have seen myself on videos before, it wasn't really hard to do, but I
wonder if I'm on the right track with this step one. <<

For many, this is an effective way to get into the observer mode.
However, this technique still requires a degree of doing (crafting the
movie screen and placing yourself as audience) and involvement
(maintaining this scenario), so in essence this is not truly a *passive*
observation. With this exercise you're not *controlling* the
environment of your brain -- you're merely observing it *without
participation*.

>> Next question, how do I know "I'm good at it" and can go on to step
two? <<

As Bardon stated, when you are able to passively observe the workings of
your mind for 10 minutes without interruption or digression, then you
can begin the second exercise.

>> I know from many years of on and off meditating, that I can fairly
easily hold one single thought for a longer time and I feel step two
will be easier for me. Do I have to work on step one longer or can I go
on, or take turns, maybe? <<

Being able to consistently detach, at will, from the activity in your
brain is the first step toward being able to consistently focus your
mind, at will, upon a single idea or train of thoughts. I suggest that
you persevere and master the first exercise before turning to the
second. And likewise, master the second before turning to the third.

These exercises are not necessarily easy and the path of initiation is
not one of "least resistance". This takes work and it is frequently
difficult. The ability to persevere in the face of such difficulty is
an essential trait that the magician must needs develop if they wish to
succeed.