Re: How to be the Silent observer ?

Message 00112 of 3835

Mahazou and all,

Actually, I was going to post a couple of very similar questions today. I
also am a big daydreamer which inevitably results in dialog.
Especially in the morning (and no, I don't like to splash myself with cold
water in the morning) when I practice the "observing", it seems that my last
dream from that night resurfaces. I tried successfully today to "watch" the
dream, and since I was part of it, I emphasized in watching myself. This
involved some internal dialog, kind of reminding myself to observe and not to
take part. It was difficult only, when I didn't remember how the dream
continued, but I *wanted* to know...
I visualized this as a moviescreen and I was the audience. Since I have seen
myself on videos before, it wasn't really hard to do, but I wonder if I'm on
the right track with this step one.
Next question, how do I know "I'm good at it" and can go on to step two? I
know from many years of on and off meditating, that I can fairly easily hold
one single thought for a longer time and I feel step two will be easier for
me. Do I have to work on step one longer or can I go on, or take turns,
maybe?
Also step three is something I have achieved previously in some deep
meditations. It really looks that step one is the toughest, that sitting
back and observing.

Any input on this?

Alexandra