Final question on 'Observation'

Message 00254 of 3835

Greetings!

I want to ask a final question regarding 'observation of thoughts'. I
am at the stage in my exercises where I feel instinctively that I
should move on to 'one-pointedness'. This was somewhat confirmed by
last night's dream pertaining to the exercise. I was running a race
in snow and came eighth place (was given the number 8 on the issue).

First, to make the question easier to understand perhaps, I would
like to explain how I have found my mind to think. I recognize at
least three levels of mentation:

* Linguistic thought -> Thought formulated into words on
a "loud", "auditory" level.
* Abstract thought -> Thought not yet based on words, yet external to
the direct awareness.
* Inner thought -> Thought that is intimately linked to consciousness
itself.

Inner thought is in other words the ideation-process itself. It is
extremely "close" to the center of awareness, and races alongside the
stream of awareness as if inseperatable from it. Attempting to
observe it, _is_ thinking of observing it. It is the mental
equivalent of action, or purpose itself.

Abstract thought, on the other hand, is the first inner level of
deviation from the focus of action/purpose. If pursued, it tends to
objectify into linguistic thought, and subsequentially distract the
focus of inner thought's action/purpose. It seemingly has a life of
its own, and follows memory/association patterns rather than the
action/purpose/ideation process.

Linguistic thought is a result rather than a cause; it seems to be
the intellectual emphasis of inner or abstract thought, as to
consciously convey its meaning to the physical brain or memory. It,
too, can seem to have a life of its own, although in fact it then
operates solely as a echo of memory or other diverse seperate
phenomena.

Anyways, I have mastered the observation of what I above termed
linguistic and abstract thought without problem. I have also mastered
the observation of involuntary reaction to external stimuli. However,
I find it impossible to observe my inner thought, seeing as by
attempting to observe it, this in effect causes the action of
thinking itself. Perhaps calling this inner process thought is per
default faulty; perhaps it is more the mediator between thought and
consciousness rather than an actual level of thought?

As you probably can tell, I am having a very hard time formulating
the de-facto question... ;-)

I guess the question is this: Where does thought begin and the active
process of consciousness end?

Any help would be immensily helpful...

Well met
Vovin