Re: Re: Will and willpower

Message 00279 of 3835

Dear Julia:

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help that you and the other respondents
have offered. Ironically, just as I had reached the point of maximum
discouragement, I had a small breakthrough. During my practice session
yesterday evening I believe that (at last) I was actually able to passively
observe my thoughts. In the hope that my subjective impressions might be of
assistance to other students, here is what it felt like:

My self-awareness (for me, it feels as if it is located in the middle of my
head) became very still. Then it "relaxed" (this felt like unclenching a
muscle). Then, in a strange way, my awareness seemed to become "transparent"
(physical sensations, images, thought dialog, and so on seemed to pass through
my awareness without interacting with it). There was also a change in my sense
of time (the practice session seemed to pass in an instant).

There was one odd side-effect. When I opened my eyes at the end of my practice
session I had to struggle a little to come out of the "passive observation"
state. For a few seconds I was looking around the room and seeing furniture etc
and my brain wasn't interpreting what I saw (i.e., if you look at a chair in a
normal state of consciousness you sort of say to yourself "that's a big green
chair." In this case that almost subconscious recognition and naming of objects
wasn't happening for a brief time after my practice session). It was a little
disorienting but it faded quickly as my normal state of consciousness
reasserted itself.

Thanks again for your input and goodwill!

Sincerely, /RM/