Re: Soul Mirrors and the Elements - EARTH

Message 00333 of 3835

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, Amberlyn <amberlyn@c...> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> One
> who is headstrong is stubbornly, often recklessly willful (i.e.
Fire within
> Earth). Stiff-necked implies stubbornness combined with arrogance
or
> aloofness (Air within Earth). Bullheaded suggests foolish or
irrational
> obstinacy (Water within Earth), and pigheaded, stupid obstinacy.
Mulish
> implies the obstinacy and intractability associated with a mule.
Dogged
> emphasizes stubborn perseverance: dogged persistence. Pertinacious
stresses
> a tenacity of purpose, opinion, or course of action that is
sometimes
> viewed as vexatious.

This is interesting; your approach to breaking down the 'nature' of
traits here seems to be based greatly on semantics/linguistics. This
made me wonder how much our language influences our thoughts and as
a result, how we view characteristics in terms of the elements.
Surely a characteristic should have a 'pure' form which is above
semantic classification, or else people who speak different language
will classify traits differently because of the different linguistic
implications of a particular word. For example, you talk about
someone being 'headstrong' and say that this is a trait of fire
within earth. But what about 'hotheaded'? Is that fire simply
because of the implication of heat? The Spanish translation
of 'hotheaded' would be 'exaltado' which has no connection with
heat; would a Spaniard then find it as easy to classify this trait?
The Spanish word for 'mulish' would be 'trozudo' but there is no
connection with a mule, it simply means stubborn... so languages
which may not have as many synonyms might also have shorter soul
mirror lists ;-)

Thanks for your postings about the elements, I've found them to be
extremely interesting and thought-provoking.

Martin

Main Index | Thread Index