Re: Re: Soul Mirrors and the Elements - EARTH

Message 00340 of 3835

Hi Martin,

I am glad that you thought my posts were thought-provoking. In truth, I found writing them was very thought-provoking for me as well <g>.

This is interesting; your approach to breaking down the 'nature' of
traits here seems to be based greatly on semantics/linguistics.

I did this only to shed some light on the nature of each elemental characteristic, and because many of these words relate to Soul Mirror work. You are correct in that an element and its nature is purer than language alone (IMO). In other words, I am not saying the linguistic descriptions cover the element in total, but through language (English is native to me), we might come to understand an element from a mental perspective. I first sensed the elements through feelings and sensations. Language helped me put words to what I felt. Other languages may likely have other words to describe these characteristics. That's fine.

For example, you talk about
someone being 'headstrong' and say that this is a trait of fire
within earth. But what about 'hotheaded'? Is that fire simply
because of the implication of heat?

Remember that Earth is the combination of Fire, Water, and Air. It contains, or involves all of the three elements, in its Form. Therefore, any of these elements may be expressed in Earth, but given Form, still belong to Earth.

Hotheaded implies a tendency towards unthinking boldness and haste, to me. I might initially place this under Air (mediating Fire) because of the mental process (or lack thereof), and place it in a Black Mirror. I say it is mediating Fire because I think the word describes the state of mind, and only the proclivity toward action (Fire). But that's only MY opinion <smile>.

The Spanish translation
of 'hotheaded' would be 'exaltado' which has no connection with
heat; would a Spaniard then find it as easy to classify this trait?
The Spanish word for 'mulish' would be 'trozudo' but there is no
connection with a mule, it simply means stubborn... so languages
which may not have as many synonyms might also have shorter soul
mirror lists ;-)

I really cannot comment too much on this, as I am not Spanish <smile>. Speaking per my intuition, I would think exaltado would still be attributed to Air, and trozudo, still attributed to Earth, in terms of Soul Mirror Traits. Subbornness has several Earth characteristics inherent within the concept, language aside.

Discussing pure elements might be approached somewhat differently. My recent posts were meant to help with Soul Mirror traits and their attributions to the Elements. I am still working Step 1, and did not wish to get into Elementals just yet...

Amberlyn

Main Index | Thread Index