Re: About the Soul Mirror

Message 00364 of 3835

Maybe you could try segmenting your black mirrors' traits into bite-size
pieces. That's been working for me.

I've been making slow progress in step 2, largely because my mirrors were so
"loosey goosey." Even though I'd listed all kinds of stuff and diligently
separated the registries into their respective elements (well, as best asI
could determine what went where), I couldn't really get my arms around any one
thing to work on in the character enoblement. So, I'd pick somethinglike
"anger" and find myself confronting situtuations that made me angry all day
long. After a few weeks of battle, I was ready to give up!

So, I went back to my notes and picked one situation that really got me upset.
I sat quietly for awhile, remembering what went into making me feel how I did.
I looked for the antecedent to my angry reaction, and I found that there was a
moment when I actually decided to become angry.

Ah ha! I had been in the driver's seat all along. This was a big deal - aeureka
moment. Once I realized this, I kept going. Who was with me? Whatin this person
triggered my angry reaction? Was it how something was said? Maybe I was upset
w/ myself for lacking understanding or patience or my hair ;-). The more I
thought about each one of my problem areas, I noticedthat there were all kinds
of "vulnerable" spots within me that needed attention. And when I'd first
compiled my mirrors, I'd never have even guessedthese "roots" were feeding a
whole tree of anger - w/ different branches manifesting different dark
qualities. And I'd never really considered myself an easily angered person.

One really helpful thing I found, also, was before begining work w/ cold water
or autosuggestion - was to meditate on a time when I chose to rise above the
negative feelings of the "sin of the day ;-)" So, I'd find a corrseponding
trait in my white mirror, remember what it felt like to know myself as a decent
person (It was easy for me to get mired in the muck of what a crummy person I
was when I first started my step 2 work - and then set it aside for weeks
because I hated what I saw) and then concentrate on the good.It helped to start
my day w/o dredging up all the yucky stuff. The good is there, but finding it -
again in its lowest common denominator - can be challenging.

The only thing that's been working for me is to break apart each trait and look
for specific instances that fed it. When I find something - I'll usually end up
w/ 4 or 5 traits that fall under its umbrella. If I work on just one of them
that particular day, then I'm much less likely to quit.

Hope this helps -
lori