Re: Step 3 Mental question

Message 00729 of 3835

Dear Dan,

>> Any tips on maintaining a "step into it" type multisense
visualization for the full 5 minutes? I can maintain an unfamiliar
scene much easier than a familiar one. <<

The multi-sense scene is a composite of single-sense creations. Sort of
like in printing a color image composed of four color components (cyan,
magenta, yellow and black). The "trick" is to layer each single-sense
creation, one at a time, until your scene is complete. For example,
begin by creating the visual component, then add the auditory component,
then the smell component, then the tactile component, and so on, until
your multi-sense scene is fully formed. Once the scene is complete, it
becomes a simple matter of maintaining a one-pointedness of mind.

The fact that you can maintain an unfamiliar scene longer than a
familiar scene is, I imagine, a fairly common experience. It was
certainly my own experience at first until I analyzed the situation and
realized that, with the familiar scene, I was relying upon my memory
instead of using my creative imagination to construct the scene. When I
shifted from reliance upon memory to actually creating the scene from
the ground up, so to speak, it was no different from my work with
unfamiliar scenes.