Re: Silence

Message 00922 of 3835

Dear Kurt, et al,

Silience is one of those odd litte concepts within the study of
Hermetics, and magic in general, that is often misunderstood. As it
has been mentioned: silience within this context does not mean never
speaking about Hermetics. Because, if it did, then why would Franz
Bardon be writing three full and comprehensive textbooks on various
subjects on Hermetics? What it does mean, as Rawn says within the
commentary upon IIH, is that it generally means not bragging, or
talking about your magical practices and experiences. This being
something that works towards counteracting the effects of the ego and
working towards a more humble character.

With regards as to what to tell those people around you, I would have
to say that it something that has to be delt with personally. While
Bardon does state in a number of places that the magician should draw
attention to one's practice, and in fact go to great lengths to
conceal that one is a practicing magician, I would have to say that
such statements where probably a byproduct of the age and culture in
which these books where written in. In this day and age, people have
seem to be a little more linient towards such matters. But then
again, this is a specific cultural thing.

Personally, the social group that I am a major part of is the local
university pagan/alternative spirituality group. As such, they all
know that I am working on the Hermetic path through the works of
Franz Bardon.

With regards to what to do if one's practice time is cutting into
your social life I have one bit of information that I once heard a
practitioner of Neidan Qigong, a Chinese energetic system, write
online: In order to have a rich internal life, one must, by
necessity, also have a rich social life. Bardon does suggest that one
practice the work of the steps just after gettng up, and just before
going to bed. Especially first thing in the morning. Durring these
times, practice usually doesn't interfear with one's social life. One
can also fit one's practice into all of those little moments where
one is doing nothing. Externally, one does not have to give forth the
appearance that one is meditating. It is all generally an internal
process.

Love and Live well,
Peter Reist

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "kurtis1984" <kurtis1984@y...>
wrote:
> Hi Guys and Girls.
>
> I have a question regarding the Seal of Silence.
>
> I have been practising IIH for the past year and a bit. Obviously
> take it seriously, I've had to introduce some major (but positive)
> aspects of my life.
>
> Now, when my friends used to say "Come out and do xyz with us", I
> could get out of it by saying I had 'meditation' to do, or I could
> plan my exercises around my friends engagements.
>
> But now I'm busier, so I have less time to go to all my friend's
> get-togethers. This means I can't usually move my exercises around
> because I have work, or want to see my partner etc. So all I can
say
> is "I have meditation to do".
>
> The thing is, I feel kind of guilty about this, because they assume
> 'meditate' maybe an hour or possibly two at the most, each day. In
> reality, it is more than this, so it comes out looking like I am
using
> meditation as an excuse not to see them.
>
> What I really want to say is;
> I'm pursuing a path of enlightenment
> I'm still friends, but sometimes enlightenment will take precedence.
>
> Is this revealing too much? I wouldn't ever tell them about Bardon,
> Magic, or any techniques/experiences. And if they asked I would
tell
> them it's personal and I don't wish to talk about it specifically.
>
> Has anyone else gone through this, and what did they do?
> All suggestions are welcome. Please don't hold back, as I am in
need
> of some inspiration.
>
> Thanks, and take care
>
> Kurt