Re: Digest Number 220

Message 01357 of 3835

Dearest Eric,

>> But as you are a gardener yourself, what is the proper way to harvest
your food from the hermetic standpoint? I can see that you can do
everything you can to give the plants and animals under your care a
nice life, but when it's time for reaping', what is the appropriate
attitude? I mean, how can you bear to face that damaged zukini plant
'the morning after'? Do the surviving carrots in your plot quiver in
fear when you enter your garden? Are there rituals you should use,
offerings etc.? I have worked with some of this myself, but I would
really like to hear your point of view on this one. <<

Starting with the day I first took shovel to soil in my little garden
space, I've been singing one song in particular every time I'm in the
garden. It goes like this:

Lady weave your circle bright
Spin your web of golden light
Earth and Air, Fire and Water
Bind me to you.

This describes my relationship with all of the plants that grow in my
garden. I provide them with the things they need for vibrant life and
they, in turn, provide me with the things I need for vibrant life. I am
always thankful to them and they are, likewise, thankful to me. We have
a symbiotic relationship that nurtures us both.

When I harvest a zucchini, I praise the plant and express my joy at the
beautiful zucchini it has grown for my consumption. As I cut the fruit
from the vine, I thank the plant and wish it well. In return, the
zucchini plant is glad to feed me its fruit and happily grows the most
beautiful fruit it can to please me. It doesn't mind my cutting the
fruit and sends its healing juices immediately to the cut end, healing
the wound very,very rapidly. And then it focuses all its energy upon
producing the next zucchini for me to pick.

I treat all of the plants in my garden in this same way. In return,
they are all happy to feed me. They are all happy to be living in my
garden. :)