Re: Re: Step1: Thought Control

Message 01539 of 3835

Dear Daniel,

>> Hmm. I have exactly the same condition as Oliver, and I wonder - for
the third exercise, should I eliminate those "deep" thoughts as well, so
that I will be left with a _completely_ empty mind, and not just an
empty _surface_ mind?
If I indeed should get rid of them, how exactly? I know how to quiet
down my surface thoughts, but how can I quiet thoughts that I'm not even
fully aware of unless I actively try to bring them up?I'm rather sure
that I'll need a _fully_ quiet mind at some point.. <<

Not everybody will have the same experience I had. I suggest that you
deal with your mind *as it is* and don't worry about trying to find
thoughts that, for all intents and purposes, aren't there. If, during
your practice of the Emptiness of Mind, you encounter deeper thoughts,
then address them at that time.

The Emptiness of Mind is something that gets deeper and deeper the
longer you practice it. By the end of Step One, all that is *required*
is that you empty your surface mind of all thoughts.