Re: A running thought

Message 01688 of 3835

Dear Jeremy,

>> Are any of you familiar with Chaos magick? What they say is that
everything is permitted, nothing is true, free yourself from dogma,
face your fears etc... and especially this, experiment widely and
learn from experience and practice. <<

I can't say that I'm familiar with Chaos magic, although I've read a
bit about it before.

>> How does the Bardonian Hermetic system help the student to
confront their own fears and how does the hermetic system teach the
student to learn by experimenting and self-discovery? From what i
have dbeen doing, its all just following steps. I'm up to step 3 now
and so far i haven't done anything really...like radical. The
approach of the hermetic system seems more like a plodding,
sylabbus, follow the teacher sort of thing. <<

In Step One of IIH, the student must spend a great deal of time with
introspection, which includes finding his fears. In Step Two of
IIH, the student must then transmute his negative aspects into
positive ones. This is where the student confronts his fears. This
of course depends on the nature of the fear, and how great of a fear
it is. I have a fear of snakes, but I live in an area that isn't
inhabited by snakes (unless I go out into the woods outside of
town). Therefore, this fear does not present a challenge to my
practice of Hermetics at this early stage and I didn't list it very
high on my list. But at some time here in the next year, I will
have to face this fear. Whether it be handling some snakes, or even
buying one as a pet (probably not that one ;) ) it will have to be
faced. And this is only the first few steps of IIH.

I would also like to point out that the first two steps are more of
a foundation for all magical work. Without the foundation, anything
later will fall. So, by what you are calling magical work, doesn't
really start then until Step Three. But even here, there is quite a
bit to work with and experiment on your own. In the Appendix to
Step Three, Bardon lists many applications of the vital energy:
healing, space impregnation, magnetization, etc. I myself have even
found a few ways to apply the elements all ready. So there is not a
lack of things to do :)

On another note:

>> I'm up to step 3 now and so far i haven't done anything
really...like radical. The approach of the hermetic system seems
more like a plodding, sylabbus, follow the teacher sort of thing. <<

It seems that maybe you have the wrong impression about Bardon's
system. Bardon's system is one of balance, pace, and discipline.
>From what I have read on Chaos magic, there really isn't any
discipline to it. Also, with no set development there really can't
be a balance (of course I haven't done any real work with it so I
can't really say for sure, just going on what I know). I'm not sure
of what you mean when you say "radical". If you mean something that
will blow your socks off when you do it, I don't think you will find
that with Bardon's system. One of the key aspects to Bardon's
teaching is introspection. It's placed first and foremost. The
entire time that the student is working, he is developing his
psyche. There isn't anything in his magical practices that he isn't
prepared for. So it makes sense that nothing will really "amaze"
him. That's not to say that you don't sit in awe at something that
you have learned how to do, but you are not surprised by it.

An example: In Step Five Bardon gives a technique for using the
Fire and Air elements to light a candle. Now from the perspective
of a beginner or a non-initiate, this seems phenomenal, but to the
magician it is not. He knew what he was doing, how to do it, and
achieved the desired result. There was nothing radical or amazing
in what he did. But it may give a sense of awe when he thinks back
on how far he has come in his development since he started.

So to get to the point. If you are looking for power or ways to do
amazing and cool things, you might want to reasses why you chose to
follow Bardon's system. He states plainly at the beginning that
those who seek these things will not find them in his book. But
those who seek the Path to the loftiest heights of Wisdom will find
that path in his book.

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index