Re: Concentration and the Step I Work

Message 01719 of 3835

Dear MJ,

>> The student can find something that he can concentrate intently
on. If all else fails, watch your favorite movie. Try to keep in
mind that you are wanting to observe your surroundings. Try and
stay aware of them. At some point, you will lose your surroundings
and become abosrbed in what you are doing. Eventually you
will "snap out" of this state of intense focus, or the movie (or
activity) will end. Now think back to how focused you were on what
you were doing. That is what you are trying to achieve. Nothing
else mattered but that one thing. You need be able to achieve this
with any thought and activity that you choose. <<

>> I wonder about that. Bardon writes "[a]bove all, one ought to
accustom oneself to achieve whatever one does with *full
consciousness*, whether in professional work or in private,
regardless whether the point is a big one or a trifle." And during
the thought observation instructions, he writes "The main point is
*not to forget yourself*, not to lose the train of thoughts, but to
pursue it attentively." (Emphasis mine). <<

>> It sounds like from your description, concentration sounds like
complete absorption into the subject observed; i.e. identification.
I'm not sure that's the state aimed for because then there is no
control. The music plays you, as some musicians say rather than the
other way around. <<

I believe it's a misunderstanding of what I wrote. The excerpt that
you quoted of mine is about the one-pointedness of mind exercise not
the one-pointedness of life. Visualization in Step II is a one-
pointedness exercise. In that exercise everything else
must "disappear" except what you are visualizing. The quote you
have of Bardon's is about the one-pointedness of life. My example
was to show that you are not bothered or concerned about anything
else around you. It was to give an example of the *level* of
concentration, not the actual concentration itself. It was to show
that you must have *deep* focus and concentration on what you are
doing. Take for instance driving. While driving is not really a
one-pointedness activity, the focus aspect is there. You are
concerned only about driving. The fact that the house on your right
is the nastiest pea-soup color on the planet should not be a
distraction, and really you should not pay any attention to it save
that there is a house there. Nothing can distract you from your
task of driving.

In the observance exercise as well one is to have good focus. In
that exercise you learn not to be distracted by things around you.
For instance: a dog barking outside. You should be focused on what
you are doing to the point that you don't notice the dog, or if you
do it does not become a distraction and cause you to lose focus.

My little treatise was not meant as an interpretation of Bardon's
exercises or anything of the like. They are just some thoughts
mixed with my own experiences on ways to overcome difficulties that
may arise during the Step I mental exercises. I have learned that
when we don't know what to expect we sometimes hold in our minds
what we think it would be. These ideas are ways to show one, who is
having difficulties, what he/she is trying to achieve. With the
goal firmly in mind, they can directly pursue the exercises.

I've found it most difficult to explain to someone, even myself,
what the Vacancy state feels like when it's achieved. It's hard to
do so because it is above thought by definition ;) So finding an
example, or another way to allow someone to have a glimpse of the
state helps them to work toward the goal.

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index