Re: Concentration and the Step I Work

Message 01717 of 3835

Alan wrote:

> The student can find something that he can concentrate intently
on.
> If all else fails, watch your favorite movie. Try to keep in mind
> that you are wanting to observe your surroundings. Try and stay
> aware of them. At some point, you will lose your surroundings and
> become abosrbed in what you are doing. Eventually you will "snap
> out" of this state of intense focus, or the movie (or activity)
will
> end. Now think back to how focused you were on what you were
doing.
> That is what you are trying to achieve. Nothing else mattered but
> that one thing. You need be able to achieve this with any thought
> and activity that you choose.

I wonder about that. Bardon writes "[a]bove all, one ought to
accustom oneself to achieve whatever one does with *full
consciousness*, whether in professional work or in private,
regardless whether the point is a big one or a trifle." And during
the thought observation instructions, he writes "The main point is
*not to forget yourself*, not to lose the train of thoughts, but to
pursue it attentively." (Emphasis mine).

It sounds like from your description, concentration sounds like
complete absorption into the subject observed; i.e. identification.
I'm not sure that's the state aimed for because then there is no
control. The music plays you, as some musicians say rather than the
other way around.

mj

Main Index | Thread Index