Re: Quality vs. Quantity

Message 01738 of 3835

Dear NB,

>> I'd like to learn more on the concept of quality vs. quantity. This
question kept crossing my mind those last days, and I just saw the topic
mentionned on one of Rawn's answwers today again. Could anybody tell me
where I can find more details on it ? <<

I've never run into anything that gives "details". I suggest that you
meditate upon the concept of defining a quality and its quantity.

By 'quality' we mean a thing's essence -- its essential nature or
essential meaning. By 'quantity' we mean the amount of the quality
which is manifest. For example, 'red' is a *quality* of light. If it's
a very pale red, then the *quantity* of red could be described as "low"
or "small". But if it's a bright, vibrant !RED!, then its *quantity*
could be described a "high" or "great". 'Quantity' is a relative
measurement of the degree of intensity with which a 'quality' is
manifest.

In my earlier remarks about the difference between the eternal and the
temporal, I spoke of *now* as a quality which manifests as different
quantities. By "*now*", I mean the quality of immediacy of experience,
sensation and awareness. Here in the temporal realm, that immediacy of
experience is infinitely finite -- it has an infinitely finite
duration -- and can thus be described as having a very (infinitely)
small quantity. In the eternal realm however, that immediacy of
experience is infinitely infinite -- it encompasses an infinite duration
within itself -- and can thus be described as having an infinite
quantity. In both cases, the *quality* is exactly the same, but the
*quantity* of that quality differs.