Re: Quality vs. Quantity

Message 01742 of 3835

Dear Rawn,

>> I suggest that you meditate upon the concept of
defining a quality and its quantity.<<

Yes :-) I intended to do so anyway :-)

>>For example, 'red' is a *quality* of light. If it's
a very pale red, then the *quantity* of red could be
described as "low" or "small". <<

I see. There is no difference, in fact, with the
popular use : quality is an attribute of the thing
described.
It's just that the two terms were sometimes used for
things which were not supposed to have either quantity
or quality.

>> In my earlier remarks about the difference between
the eternal and the temporal, I spoke of *now* as a
quality which manifests as different quantities. By
"*now*", I mean the quality of immediacy of
experience, sensation and awareness. Here in the
temporal realm, that immediacy of experience is
infinitely finite -- it has an infinitely finite
duration -- and can thus be described as having a very
(infinitely) small quantity. In the eternal realm
however, that immediacy of experience is infinitely
infinite -- it encompasses an infinite duration within
itself -- and can thus be described as having an
infinite quantity. In both cases, the *quality* is
exactly the same, but the *quantity* of that quality
differs.<<

By *eternal realm*, do you mean the mental plane and
above (not subject to space and time) ?. If yes, I
believe I understand :-) I met that concept a few
times in deep meditations some years ago. In those
meditations, "length of time" and "notion of sequence"
(+ attributes of the thing described I believe) were
depicted by *spatial* dimensions.
Funny how things change depending on the axis we add
to the paradigm.

Many thanks.
NB