Re: Re: Qabalah Theory Question

Message 01771 of 3835

Dear M,

>> With all these strange rules and variations on the Tree of Life I
don't know how we are supposed to make sense of it! As the Western
Qabbalah seems to contradict the Jewish Qabbalah, which one is right? <<

As Peter pointed out, the question of which is "right" is fairly
irrelevant. At its inception several centuries ago, I'd say that the
Western Qabbalah was indeed based upon an *incorrect* interpretation.
The primary "error" stemmed from a specific rendering of the Tree of
Life image by a non-Jew (Christian) in which the Letters were assigned
incorrectly (from a Jewish perspective, especially since it was
purported to have been a rendering of the *Jewish* Tree) to the
connections between the Sephirot. [See
http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/Path1.html ] This simple "error"
however, started an amazing process which, due to the work of many very
creative minds, resulted in a completely valid system (the present day
system of Western Qabbalah).

Western Qabbalah is very much a Christian interpretation of Jewish
Kabbalah with a very heavy dose of Egyptiana (among other things) thrown
into the mix. From a Jewish perspective, it is labeled "wrong". But
the same bias that prevents most modern Jewish Kabbalists from admitting
or recognizing the validity of Western Qabbalah also prevents most
modern Western Qabbalists from recognizing and admitting the true
differences between the Jewish and Western traditions.

In the end, I think one must treat each as a separate entity.
Personally, I find that the Jewish Kabbalah has greater depth.