transition to step two?

Message 01822 of 3835

I have a question/problem that I'd like to invite comment on ... I'm
still at Step One, and I am finding that my practice of some of the
exercises is being held up by issues that according to the steps I
should be dealing with in Step 2. For instance, my addiction to
sugar and the issues surrounding it are affecting my energy level,
which is in turn affecting my ability and motivation to be mindful
and to practice emptiness of mind.

I guess my question is, what is the balance? On the one hand, of
course I don't want to move on to step two before I'm ready. On the
other hand, it seems like it would take years of character
transformation to truly master being mindful and empty and being
completely undistracted when practicing things like the magic of
food. There are a lot of reasons why I let myself become distracted,
a lot of issues to delve through.

When is it enough? For instance, I can do a few minutes of
emptiness, but it is highly inconsistent -- some days I'm much better
than others. One thing I have to do to address that is to adjust my
diet and sleep habits. It also has to do with why I hold tension,
and the way I hold tension in my body, which in turn has to do with
how I deal with other emotional events, etc., ad infinitum. But how
much is too much, at what point am I just getting bogged down and not
moving forward, when it seems like any attention in these areas is in
some ways moving forward -- however slowly?

Any comments?

Thanks,
David

Main Index | Thread Index