Bardon and Tarot

Message 01931 of 3835

Dear Friends,

Not strictly Bardon related, but I think possibly relevant. I've
recently become interested in Tarot once again and have gotten my
hands on Paul Foster Case's "An Introduction To The Study of Tarot".
Case founded the Builders Of The Adytum and I was under the
impression that the BOTA deck was what he used in his books. Now
that I have looked at it, he actually recommends that the student use
the Waite deck. My first question, if anyone knows, is the Waite-
Rider deck the same as the original Waite deck? It claims to be, but
I would just like to be certain. I also found a few images of the
BOTA deck and it is quite similar to the Waite deck.

The BOTA deck is in black and white, leaving the coloring of the
Trumps to the student. Their reasons for this seem valid, but is it
truly necessary? Given that I cannot get a BOTA deck but I can get a
Waite deck, I was wondering what those that have studied the Tarot
think.

Now for the Bardon part. Bardon's image of the Magician and Emporer
are radically different than that of the Waite deck. Although, all
of the symbolism seems to be there. I'm not saying that one is right
and the other is wrong, but is one better than the other? The
symbolism, for me, seems to expressed better in Bardon's images. Yet
we have only three and a possible (and likely) candidate for a
fourth. So if I used Bardon's images, I would have to mix the Tarot
deck. Is there any harm in this? Or would it be more profitable to
use cards that were designed under the same (what's the word...)
philosophy?

I know that which ever Tarot more clearly presents the meaning to me
is the best to use, but it seems that mixing philosophies would
present problems in it's study. And Case also suggests the Waite
deck and his analysis and comments are for those specific images, so
I suppose for studying his Tarot works, that deck would be the best
to use.

I'm sure this seems like random thoughts strung together, and that
may be partly true. But I wish to study the Tarot as a Bardonist,
with a Bardonist philosophy. So... any help?

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index