Re: Lost the way?

Message 01997 of 3835

Dear Martin,

>> My focus on my spiritual development seems to wax and wane in six
month cycles and I do not know whether to accept this as the way
things are or find a way to change it. <<

No one can really answer this question but yourself. But here are
some questions that I've asked myself on occassion:

Is spiritual development and important part of my life?
Is this something that I want to pursue to the fullest?
Do I have the means to make the commitment that this will take?

One thing that a friend told me and I've always rememebered: If
it's important to you, you will make time for it.

>> I do feel silly posting this message asking other people for
advice on how to sort out my life, believe me, which is why I have
left it so long. <<

Don't worry. Half the time, after I ask a question, I see the
answer for myself. It also helps to get a different perspective
than the one that you've been banging your head on a wall with for
some time ;)

>> I guess on a more practical note, one of the major problems is
the fact that when I am teaching, I am tired when I come home and
then have to prepare the next day's lessons and then just want to go
to bed and if I tried to meditate then, I think I would just wind up
falling asleep. <<

For physical tiredness, you could take a cold shower or do a bit of
cardio exercise, something to get the blood flowing.

For mental tiredness, the EOM exercise is a great way to relax and
rejuvenate the mind. Just don't force it. Sit quietly with the
*intent* (not thought) to let thoughts flow from your mind and leave
it empty. I've found that just sitting quietly and doing the
observance of thoughts exercise for some time helps to refresh the
mind. Just don't try and force anything, or get frustrated. Just
relax :)

>> Also, if I do find a way of incorporating the practice of IIH
into my life again, would you recommend starting again from scratch
including the re-working of my soul mirrors? <<

You'd have to answer this for yourself. It never hurts to revisit
your soul mirrors and redo them. But keep the old one and compare
them, adding to the new one things that you may have discovered last
time but happened to miss this time.

As for the other exercises, it never hurts to redo them at any point
and time. So far, I've made it a point to go through all of the
preceding exercises before moving to the next step, just to make
sure that I haven't neglected something and that nothing has lapsed.

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index