Re: Counting

Message 02264 of 3835

Dear David,

>> I tried to count and to concentrate on the counting, on the numbers
etc. I noticed, however, that with counting my concentration drifted
away very easily compared to the previously mentioned topics. My
conclusion is that my concentration abilities definitly need to be
improved and therefore it is too early to move to the EOM exercise. BUT
this only in case that "counting" can be classified as a thought in the
context of this exerice. Would you consider it as one? <<

It would depend upon how you approach it. Ordinarily, it can be very
"mindless", requiring no real attention. However, it can also be very
mindful *if you give it significance*. For example, if you focus upon
the meaning of each number or focus upon the succession of number, etc.
But if you're just mindlessly running through the numbers without any
thought, then it doesn't seem to me as a very useful application of
one-pointedness.

Perhaps this can teach you something about the nature of one-pointedness
and the connection between interest/significance and mental focus?