Re: Time

Message 02426 of 3835

Dear Martin,

>> "The division of life into past, present, and future is mind-made and
ultimately illusory. Past and future are thought forms, mental
abstractions. The past can only be remembered Now. What you remember is
an event that took place in the Now, and you remember it Now. The
future, when it comes, is the Now. So the only thing that is real, the
only thing there ever is is the Now" <<

This is absolutely correct. As Paul Case put it, "All the power that
ever was or will be is here NOW."

>> Based on this philosophy, he states that an in-built problem with
most systems of enlightenment is that they allow *time* for development;
are divided into steps; place enlightenment as something to be strived
for in the *future*. This leads to us overlooking the fact that all we
need is in the present moment. We are looking for something in the
future which has already been provided to us in the Now. He teaches
accessing the present moment through one of several 'doorways' such as
noticing silence or space, becoming aware of the inner body... <<

This is a very valid thought. However, very few folks are capable of
taking what they need from the Now and must un-learn the habits that
prevent them from this. This is what takes time. :) Change also takes
time, or rather, it requires a sequential series of small changes, lest
the organism be changed so radically that it disrupts continuity and
immediately ceases to exist.

Simply connecting with the infinite Now is an impractical way of
creating permanent change within a modern individual, because
functioning in our world demands that we also function at the level of
awareness that experiences the *sequence* of time. In other words, to
go to your job, you must function at the level of clocks and this pulls
you out of the infinitely infinite Now and places you squarely in the
infinitely finite present moment of time, where everything is perceived
as a sequence of finite events. Until one becomes adept at integrating
these two disparate perspectives and can readily shift back and forth as
needed, change remains a matter of sequential evolution.

>> This outlook seems instinctively right to me, yet it also creates a
conflict
concerning Bardon's system as you can see. <<

Actually, following Bardon's sequential system makes perfect sense for
two reasons. Number one it honors the fact that this is how those of us
who live in the world of clocks must learn and must change ourselves.
And number two, because it inevitably leads to the awareness of the
infinite Now and the ability to integrate the infinite amount of
information contained therein.

>> He does say that the need for a shift in consciousness is becoming
more urgent <<

I agree!

>> and perhaps that is why his teachings differ from many others which
focus on allowing time for spiritual advancement. <<

Or perhaps he is thinking in terms of a complete shift to awareness of
the Now. If so, then, as has always been the case, the only remedy for
the present state of affairs if for *all* of humanity (or at the very
least 1-2 *billion* individuals) to make this shift simultaneously. If
the shift is not made globally, then the situation will not change on
the global scale that is presently necessary. To my mind, this is where
the sequential systems of spiritual advancement are essential as they
lead to, or prepare individuals for, that global shift.

>> I was hoping for other people's views on this, especially your view
Rawn if
you don't mind :) <<

I suggest that you go to http://www.ABardonCompanion.com and at the
bottom of the page you'll find a simple website search engine. Type in
'time' and you'll find a lot of my own thoughts on the matter. :)

On a slightly different note but related to the same topic of time
verses personal development, Peter has experimented (successfully) with
TMO in this regard. He used a variation of "setting the tone of the
temporal moment" to connect with his future-self at a point in
time-space where certain abilities have been fully developed. :)

>> Also, has anyone else read/listened to Tolle's teachings? <<

No, I haven't. Can you provide us with a weblink or titles of books,
etc.?