Re: Re: Time

Message 02441 of 3835

Dear Martin,

>> When you write about 'un-learning the habits', I assume this
ultimately boils down to the interference of the ego/egoic mind; the
small self-made sense of self which the vast majority of humans
(myself included!) continually associate with and place the whole of
their identity into. <<

Yes, but in addition to the "self-made" products of the subconscious
psyche, there are also the ways of being that we are taught by the
cultures in which we live.

>> On a personal level, I feel I am becoming evermore conscious of the
divide between my egoic self and 'my' higher consciousness. I sense this
as a tremendous internal battle which I am currently finding difficult
to resolve. I can almost tangibly feel my ego fighting and resisting any
changed which I may try to implement. <<

This is sign that you are actually starting to make internal change.
Otherwise, you would not experience any resistance. However, I want to
say that your "egoic self" is *not* an enemy. It doesn't act against
you out of malice or spite, etc., but rather, it doesn't know any better
and is responding instinctively. Once you have broken through the
resistance, the idea is to reshape your "egoic self" into a friend and
ally. Once it has been "tamed" through character transformation it will
be one of your most powerful allies! :)

One key to the art of taming the "egoic self" is to absolutely refuse to
give in to the resistance you encounter. You *are* stronger than any
resistance it can offer, it's just that your "egoic self" is very adept
at convincing you otherwise. :)

And finally, even though I've spoken of the "egoic self" in these terms,
it's not something that is *separate* from *you*. It is a *part of*
you.

>> This does make sense to me, but isn't time a man-made concept? <<

I think we need to distinguish between what time really is and the human
perception of what time is. To say that *time* is a human construct
misses the point and ignores the reality of physical existence.
However, how time is generally perceived and experienced *is* a purely
human construct.

Instead of writing an expose` on the subject of time (I haven't the time
;-)) I suggest that you search my website for "time" and for "mechanisms
of human perception".

>> Do we not have the power to *choose* to step out of it when we wish?
<<

Well, we have the power to shift our awareness to a perspective that is
not constricted by time or even by sequence.

>> Now assuming this is true (which it may not be, it's just an idea), I
can see that we could require *time* to undo our misperception, but
wouldn't that be paradoxical assuming that time is illusory? Would it
not be like a dog chasing its own tail? <<

Time is *not* an illusion. How we perceive it could be called a
delusion, but time itself is very real.

>> How will the shift be made simultaneously? <<

Since the medium is mind, time and space are not limiting factors. This
shift would occur at the level of the human group-mind.

>> What will instigate the shift? <<

An overwhelming desire for a new way of being.

>> Will number of people who have become individually enlightened
automatically lead to a shift in global consciousness? <<

Not automatically, no. It depends upon the percentage of the group-mind
and upon which parts of the group mind are involved.

>> what benefit does Peter derive from connecting to a future self? <<

I suggest that you ask Peter. :)

>> Oh! I can answer this bit!
Eckhart Tolle's book is called 'The Power of Now' and is published
by Hodder & Stoughton. The ISBN number is: 0 340 73350 0
His website is: www.eckharttolle.com
To listen to fairly long extracts from his audio material (or to
download the full CDs), go to:
http://www.audible.com and search for 'Eckhart Tolle', then click on
the title and you will hve the option of listening to a sample. <<

Thanks. :)