Re: Re: Paenitere

Message 02513 of 3835

Dear 'golden558dragon',

>> What about his views concerning a temporary abstinence from sex and
the one week of fasting. Would there be any advantages in starting your
magical practise in such a manor, seeing as it might destroy laevas and
train your will ??? <<

In my "Commentary Upon IIH: Step One" I suggested the temporary
cessation of all caffeine, nicotine, cannabis, alcohol and of anything
else that alters the brain's chemistry, so that the mind is clear for
the mental exercises. The mind must be mastered when it is functioning
normally instead of when it is being influenced and therefore
functioning abnormally.

Periodic fasting is always a good idea since, when done properly, it
purifies the body of toxins and brings the bodies digestive system back
into proper balance. But even better than periodic fasting is the
consistent eating of a healthy diet.

In the absence of sexual addiction, a temporary abstinence from sex
will indeed increase your overall energy, leaving you with more energy
for concentration if that is otherwise a problem for you. [However, I
must point out that the only sexual alternative Blystone offers to
permanent abstinence is involvement in a monogamous, committed
(heterosexual) relationship. According to him, if you are not in such a
relationship then abstinence is your only option (he declares
casual sex and masturbation as unacceptable).]

And of course, practicing *any* asceticism will strengthen your will.

But so far as these practices themselves eliminating larvae, this is not
guaranteed. For example, if sexual addiction or food addiction or
substance addiction are issues you face, then a temporary cessation of
all things having to do with the object of your addiction *without
simultaneously and directly addressing the root addiction issues* will
often have the opposite affect of increasing the strength of attendant
larvae and draining *you* of energy. So if you do practice these
asceticisms he suggests then I recommend that you also be ready to deal
with all of the addiction issues that arise.

>> On his yoga regime, what do you think would be the benefits of
following his regime to the letter and would there be any unforeseen
dangers in doing so ??? <<

The benefits and dangers, *if you follow his instructions to the letter*
(which includes an exhaustive study of the Yogic literature in addition
to following his given instructions) would obviously be the benefits and
dangers espoused in the Yogic literature. :) However, I must point out
that Yoga is not *Hermetics* -- it is not *part of* the *Hermetic* path
of initiation. It can indeed make a good *addition to* but it is not a
*part of* it.

>> Also would there be some advantages in waiting with some of his
lessons, and then using them as a compliment to some of the more
advances IIH lessons ??? <<

Yes and I think his sensory exercise is a case in point. It could be
used effectively in conjunction with the work of being able to identify
the separate organs and regions of the body.

>> Finally what about his comments on some of the books of the Bible and
his comments on the Tarot, something I personally found to be some of
the most interesting parts of the book. Do you agree with his ideas, and
if not then why ??? <<

I glossed over most of this material since it didn't interest me.

>> By the way, to a point I also agree with you about his writing style.
It is sometimes slow, a bit to melodramatic, and clearly painted by his
Gnostic beliefs, but at the same time I also think he wrote it like that
to convey a point (be careful not to accept everything, do not think the
occult sciences is a game, etc.). <<

Yes, obviously it was done intentionally and after just a couple of
chapters the reader should have more than gotten his point that
initiation is serious business and that one should think for themselves.
:) But after a while it got tiresome and seemed to have to do with more
than just making a point.

One final comment on "Paenitere". When I add up all the daily time
commitments and life changes that Blystone demands as absolute
requirements of the "neophyte", I see an erection of barriers instead of
the breaking down of them. It is clear to my mind that Bardon wrote IIH
in order to make Hermetic initiation *more* accessible to *more* people.
In many places in his books he emphasized the fact that initiation was
possible for the "ordinary man" who lives an ordinary life. It's not
reserved just for those who can spend at least six hours a day devoted
exclusively to exercises and the study of books. That's all wonderful
when it can be managed and can make for very quick progress, but it is
not *necessary*. And in this day and age it is not even *possible* for
the vast majority of those interested in pursuing their initiation. In
point of fact, the vast majority of the students that I know of are
making excellent progress devoting only a couple of hours each day, some
on even less! It *might* take "longer" if one devotes fewer hours per
day but this is *not* a race -- in fact, trying to race is very
counter-productive.

In effect, Mr. Blystone sets out a path of initiation that *uses* IIH as
its foundation but which *diverges from* Bardon's course. It's sort of
a "Bardon Plus". ;-) Personally, I don't see that "Plus" as being in
the Bardonian spirit of making initiation *more* accessible. Instead,
it seems to take us back a century or two.

But that is only *my* opinion as an admitted "Bardon purist". ;-) I
encourage you to do as Mr. Blystone repeatedly suggests and form your
*own* opinion. :) It is after all, *your* initiation and you get to do
whatever *you* want to do.

My best to you as always,