Re: Purifying Karma for advancement

Message 02585 of 3835

Dear Ricardo,

>> Ive been reading a lot lately about Buddhism. They teach that
purification of our personal Karma is very important for spiritual
advancement because this karma acts like a veil that clouds our minds
and at the same time stops us from growing. They also give five main
ways to purify this karma. most of them include praying to some specific
Buddhas who are supposed to be very powerful. my questions are: what
would be the Hermetic perspective of this (purify karma for spiritual
growth)? does any of the exercises in IIH clears or transmutes karma??
if not, do you recomend any practice for this end? <<

Karma is "cleared" or, as I prefer to say it, "redeemed" when the life
lesson that it contains is learned and applied to your life. In other
words, when you are transformed by it. So long as you resist that
transformation, the karma remains unredeemed, uncleared, etc. See
http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/Redemption.html

The Hermetic path is one of self-transformation which, by its nature,
redeems the initiate's karma. Plus, the Hermetic learns the tools which
help avoid the continued creation of additional negative karma. In
other words, just "clearing" the karma doesn't mean much if you're also
creating more all the time. :)

>> Im not sure if im right about this but what I understand from
buddhism is that the main goal is to reach illumination and scape
samsara (the cicle of death and rebirth) and this is reached by
meditation, practice of dharma (purify karma, againg) and follow a Guru.
In your words what would be the goals of Hermetics? can you elaborate on
this point? Im sorry if im being too ignorant in both subjets but i
think it would be very beneficial for me to hear others oppinion. <<

I do suspect that you've over-simplified Buddhism, but I imagine you
know that. :)

With Hermetics I don't think you can simplify things down to universal
goals which every Hermeticist holds. Mainly because, Hermetics is about
the development of your own self. Certainly "illumination" is a natural
by-product of initiation, but not every Hermeticist holds that as a
"goal". The ultimate *end-product* of Hermetic initiation however, is
union with the Divine or One Self, but again it's not always held as a
specific "goal" in the heart of every practitioner.