Qestions regarding Step One

Message 02790 of 3835

Hi guys:

I have a few questions concerning Step One of IIH. Hope to get some
clarifications.

1. Since I have had some experience in meditation, when I do the TT,
it's more like EOM because few thoughts come out. So,

Should I meditate naturally - meaning most often directly go to the
EOM stage, or do I force it to stay in the TT stage.

Past Experience:

1st TT exercise lasted for 5' - 10', a few thoughts and pictures
aroused.

Then a few failed attempts - falling to sleep before the relaxing
procedures finished. Now I would always do the exercise in the sited
position.

2nd TT exercise lasted for about 30'. Mind seemed to have shifted to
another mode: this mode was still far away from Samadhi, still aware
of the surroundings, but thoughts and images rarely aroused and if
they do wouldn't last long, silent observer status is achieved. Maybe
I can call this Meditative Mode I as compared to the pre-Meditative
mode in which the mind is still try to calm down.

During the meditation, the outside of the brain is a little bit
painful, similar to the situation when I listen to lectures in the
dark and try to keep awake. I was not sleepy during the meditation
though.

3rd TT exercise for about 30'. Almost no thoughts and images.

4th TT exercise got interesting: because too much noise in the
house, I couldn't get into the Meditative Mode, instead, thoughts and
images appeared many times. I even recalled two pieces of dreams that
I dreamt the night before, tried to remember them after wake up and
then forgot about this matter.

So, it seems that I have found a way to experience TT, the question
is should I "digress" from EOM to TT?

2. What is the duration of cold shower, should it be just enough time
(say 10") to get wet or last a few minutes? Could we replace the
tower-rubbing with hot water shower?

3.      What is exactly meant by "be able to observe your own
thoughts for at lest 10' without the slightest digression"? In
another word: what should be achieved through TT before we can go to
the next step, in plain English?

Thanks for the patience in reading it through!

Daniel Zhao

---------------------
Suggestion to Rawn:

If there is a FAQ page, many of the repeated questions might be
avoided. A fast way to create the FAQ page is to hyperlink FAQ to
another page of your site at:
http://www.abardoncompanion.com/Corresp-Links.html.

Is it feasible to categorize the messages into different topics like
IIH, Quabalah, etc.? It will need too much effort to browse through
the almost three thousands messages just to find a specific answer.

Much thanks for your efforts in putting up an excellent website.

Daniel

Main Index | Thread Index