Re: Bardonism and Mormonism

Message 02922 of 3835

Hi-
I was raised Mormon. First, I'll say that, no- the practices of
Mormonism and Hermetics are not in any way simmilar. There is no
working on development of the mind, no working toward magical
abilities at all in Mormonism, which is practiced as a charismatic
Christian religion basically. What I did get from Mormonism, was the
notion of soul evolution (exaultation in LDS doctrine), a different
view of the universe than traditional Christianity holds, and the
notion of spirituality, supernatural phenomenon and ability to
manifest real changes in the mundane world through "priesthood power"-
which is basically magic. Without those things being instilled in me
through the church, I would have likely never begun on the path that
I am now on. It allowed me to "think outside the box". As for the
ties to Mormonism and Hermeticism, Joseph Smith was a Mason in the
1800's (when freemasonry was still a spiritual/magical brootherhood),
and so alot of true knowledge was part of the LDS church's beginnings.
The LDS church has, however, followed the path toward more
traditional Christianity since the beginning. The biggest move in
that direction came with the usurping of power by Brigham Young.
Also, the last 20 years have seen changes that nearly make the Mormon
church just another protestant religion.I feel that this is to make
it more mainstream, or palatable if you will.

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "danerebor" <danerebor@y...>
wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Recently I read an article explaining the Hermetic influence on
> Joseph Smith and Mormonism at http://gnosis.org/ahp.htm . I don't
> have any personal experience with Mormonism, so I have a question
for
> anyone who does: how compatible is Bardonism and Mormonism? Do they
> have similiar outlooks and practices?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Main Index | Thread Index